Saturday 21 April 2012

Swimming on film - General Musings

Whilst waiting for some images to export I had a flick through my 'to do' editing list, usually a pile of my own personal pictures that I haven't got around to doing something with.

This is the dilemma a lot of us face these days, what do you do with all those files? burn them to disc, export to a hard drive for safe keeping or upload and tag on Facebook, but what about print?  This is certainly something I have been trying to guilt myself into for a while, be it the 75% completed book of Nieve's 1st year, which undoubtedly won't be finished by her 2nd birthday! or the stacks of pictures sitting in folders on my hard drive begging to be let free to adorn the walls of my home. We just never quite get around to it, do we?

My aim for this year is to try and bring my photographs to life, not on the screen but in your hand, create something real, something tangible. This is both a personal and professional aim, I want you to be able to treasure your images in the best possible way, to see and feel them, there is still nothing quite like flicking through an album or sifting through a box of photographs or passing by a photo montage of your favourite memories in the hallway.

As part of this aim I am working on a range of albums to suit different budgets from the humble photo book (which I love) to the stunning leather bound beauties of Wedding Photography. I also have a fantastic local framer just itching to bring some more of my work to life and he is extremely reasonable so please people, do not be afraid to display your treasured photos :)



With the above in mind, when I recently moved to my new residence in Balfron I came across an old underwater camera.  Chancing my arm somewhat I took it along to Nieve's last swimming lesson in the baby class before Easter, to my surprise I was given permission to take a few snaps, and snap I did.   


Now I was under no illusions, digging out an old film camera undoubtedly well out of date and designed for far more sunnier places than a scottish swimming pool was not going to produce any masterpieces! So when the kind lady at Boots informed me that the disc I requested would be FOC since most of my photos were too dark I wasn't surprised.   What I was surprised about what how much I loved the images...


I love them because they are memories, good times with my girl and reminiscent of the stacks of photos I would sift through of me as a baby.  I've often had comments about how 'it's amazing what you can do with a good camera' yes it is, but it's also amazing to me what you can do with a rubbish one too! 


Not all of you will agree with me on this one, but I love them, both as a photographer and a mother and I hope you do too :)

I would love to hear your thoughts on this...but in the meantime go bring your pictures to life :)

Zoë x


1 comment: